August 2022 edition of the Lightning Lab newsletter
If you're on the Fediverse and you want to host code for libre software and other collaborative projects, you might want to check out @gitea:
It's free, open source and it's currently in process of adding Fediverse compatibility through ActivityPub, the same standard that Mastodon etc use to communicate with each other.
You can see some of the Gitea instances that already have experimental Fediverse connections listed at https://fedidb.org/software/gitea
To see the current state of federated forges, have a look at the @forgefriends blog post at https://forgefriends.org/blog/2022/06/30/2022-06-state-forge-federation/
Bitcoin Optech newsletter #207 is here:
- summarizes discussions about long-term block reward funding
- alternatives to BIP47 reusable payment codes
- options for announcing LN channel splices
- LN routing fee collection strategies
- onion message rate limiting
The "State of the #Forge #Federation: 2021 to 2023" report was published today on the @forgefriends blog. It contains a retrospective of what happened in the past year and explains what is likely to happen in the next twelve months.
Announcing lnd v0.15-beta! This new release includes full support for taproot (create addrs, send+recv, PSBT funding+signing), an experimental musig2 (!) API, BIP 155 support for neutrino, n much more!
as usual, we recommend that all users update!
Bitcoin Optech newsletter #204 is here:
- summarizes continued discussion about adding package relay to the Bitcoin P2P network
- shares a summary of the recent LN developers meeting
- describes an argument for how spenders and routing nodes on LN can optimize for both reliability and low fees in a way that benefits both groups
Late but worth it! bdk 0.19.0 brings experimental taproot 🥕🥕🥕 support including tr() descriptors, taproot PSBTs, signing key and script spend taproot PSBTs, and tr() in descriptor! macros. Plus new OldestFirstCoinSelection, a sqlite-db fix, and more, see: https://github.com/bitcoindevkit/bdk/releases/tag/v0.19.0
We just released mempool v2.4.0 🚀
• new mining dashboard
• new blockchain graphs
• new mempool visualization
• new blocks / mining pool page
• and much more!
Coming soon to your own Raspberry Pi hardware powered by your favorite Bitcoin fullnode OS
'kubectl': The definitive pronunciation guide
The official pronunciation in this house is the one that most easily rolls off the tongue:
"CUBE ECK TAL"
...but I concur with his takeaway, and raise him a completion:
source <(kubectl completion bash )
complete -F __start_kubectl k
New issue of The Lightning Lab newsletter!
Back to the Bitcoin Future: Now's the Time to Build With Lightning
Built an enclosure for an Antminer S9, to manage sound and heat.
- Duct quick-connects for easily swapping intake/exhaust
- Finished w/speaker carpet over 1/4” padding for appearance and sound reduction
- Sound reduction from muffler on exhaust, baffle+underhood material on intake side
- Power & Ethernet extensions, will primarily control remotely
Made a few tiny adjustments to account for
cut width, should be easy to figure out.
Bitcoin Optech newsletter #202 is here:
- describes experimentation by developers working on silent payments
- HWI 2.1.1 and LND 0.15.0-beta.rc3 releases
Meanwhile, took the opportunity to install LIT on my raspiblitz. Web-based GUI looks pretty slick. I think I will try out the new Lightning Pool feature, even though I have special need for more inbound liquidity, I'm really curious to see what it's like making a bid and getting it filled:
Have run these ⚡️ benchmarks on a 64bit RaspberryPi4 with a USB SSD and got relieved that this common setup is not a bottleneck for the Lightning Network.
Find all the details and how to reproduce the results here: https://github.com/openoms/lightning-benchmark/blob/master/install.aarch64.md
HW specifics and results comparison:
We've been digging a little deeper into Lightning node performance 🤓
Here's what we've fou…
Self-sovereignty via FOSS & P2P.
Privacy for individuals, transparency for institutions.
Citadel Infrastructure Cooperative